Monday 25 February 2008

Getting inspired by Koenig

How very "Wallpaper*" - 8 years ago I was on a press trip in Helsinki (for another publication) when I picked up a really cool diary with photographs by Julius Shulman.

It was packed with retro era photos of buildings that I loved. Fast forward to 2008: I was in the Tate Modern today and bought a book about the work of Pierre Koenig, who was one of the architects who worked on the Case Study Houses project, making modernist experimental homes for Americans in the 1950s and 60s. Julius Shulman was the photographer for the Case Study project, hence the familarity of the Koenig images!

The Koenig book will be pored over tonight with pages earmarked for discussion with our architect.

It's difficult to define inspiration usually, but in this case I think the Case Study thing is perfect as some of my other favourite architects & designers (Richard Neutra, Charles and Ray Eames and Eero Saarinen) were also involved.

It's also difficult to get the look you want on a relatively teensy budget but that'll be the challenge...

No comments: